Home » Organizations » Safety & Rescue » Haddam Volunteer Fire Department » HVFCo: Overheated Furnace

HVFCo: Overheated Furnace

By Olivia Drake, HVFCo. Public Information Officer.

At 9:30 p.m. March 2, 2018, Haddam Volunteer Fire Company was dispatched to a residence on Indian Hill Road for a reported structure fire. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered smoky conditions on the second floor during a size up. No flames were visible and the home was without power due to recent storms.

The homeowners evacuated the home with their two dogs.

Firefighters investigated and discovered that the home was heated with a wood/gas combination furnace. When the power went out, the blower stopped working and the furnace overheated. The excessive heat caused the furnace’s insulation to smoke, causing the smoke to escape in the second story of the house. The scene was turned over to the Haddam Fire Marshal.

Mutual aid was provided on scene by Killingworth, Chester and Middletown South District. Additional tankers were requested, but not needed, from Haddam Neck, East Haddam and Durham.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *