Categories

Home » Organizations » Safety & Rescue » Haddam Volunteer Fire Department » HVFCo: Chimney Fire 3/16/18

HVFCo: Chimney Fire 3/16/18

By Olivia Drake, HVFCo.

On Friday, March 16, 2018 Haddam Volunteer Fire Company was dispatched at 5:00 p.m. to an inside smoke investigation and/or chimney fire on Valley Ridge Drive in Higganum.

Upon arrival, smoke was only showing from the chimney. Firefighters ensured that all occupants and pets had exited the home. Firefighters entered the home and found smoky conditions throughout the house, with the heaviest smoke in the basement near the furnace and wood stove.

Light smoke was billowing from the stove’s pipe. Firefighters disassembled the pipe and removed all burning debris from the wood stove. A thick layer of creosote lined the pipe and was smoldering.

Firefighters also accessed the chimney from the roof and attempted to knock the burning creosote down with chains.

Firefighters used two fans to ventilate the house and found clear readings for carbon monoxide.

The Haddam Fire Marshal evaluated the scene and advised the homeowners not to turn on their furnace or light the wood stove without having the system professionally cleaned and inspected.

Please follow and like us: